Bainbridge Island Helpline House
Kitsap County Veterans Relief and Assistance Fund
282 Knechtel Way NE, Bainbridge Island, WA, 98110
Distance: 1692 Miles
Contact Hours: M-F, 9am-5pm
Travel Information: From Winslow Way E turn north on Eriksen Ave NE. Turn west onto Knechtel Way NE.
Washington State law and the Kitsap County code have established the Veterans Assistance Fund as a steady source of tax dollars to be utilized for the needs of indigent veterans and their families. A portion of property tax collected in Kitsap County is earmarked for the VAF.
The overall goal is to assist all veterans-in-the-need back into mainstream society by ensuring they understand all the programs available to them.
Temporary emergency assistance is available for:
- Rental and mortgage assistance
- Energy or utilities assistance
- Food assistance
- Auto repair
- Appliance repair
Days of the Week
Hours of Service
- Available before noon
- Available between noon and 5pm
In order to be eligible applicants must have served honorably at least 180 days active duty, or be an immediate family member.
Applicants with an other than honorable discharge are not eligible.
Applicant must be a resident of Washington State for at least 1 year and a resident of Kitsap County for 3 months.
Documentation required includes:
- DD214 or Statement of Service. If you don’t have either, call the VA office at 360.782.9900 for assistance. Discharge certificate for WWII veterans.
- Proof of Kitsap County residency for 3 months at time of application and 12 consecutive months residency in Washington state.
- Photo ID such as drivers license, state ID, passport.
- Proof of registration with the Washington State Job Service Veterans Section obtainable at the WorkSource Center, 1300 Sylvan Way, in east Bremerton (across the street from the Kitsap Library). Those on disability are exempt.
- If married, marriage certificate, and birth certificate or adoption papers of dependent children.
- Income verification that demonstrates need of assistance (pay stubs, tax return, unemployment check stubs, etc.)
- Rental assistance requests: Copy of rental agreement/lease, plus written documentation such as late rent notice or eminent eviction.
- Hand written notes are not acceptable. Applicants must be able to demonstrate how they are going to pay future rent.
Call to make an appointment for assistance.
This provider does not offer this service at other locations.
The following services may be helpful:
Veterans Assistance/Relief Fund, 19068 Jensen Way NE, Suite 3A, Poulsbo, WA, 98370
Veteran's Assistance Fund, 512 S Chelan Ave, Wenatchee, WA, 98801
Kitsap County Veterans Relief and Assistance Fund, 2315 Burwell St, Bremerton, WA, 98312
(360) 373-2397 Website