DSHS- Community Services Office - Eastern Washington
1600 W. First St., Newport, WA, 99156
Distance: 2048 Miles
Contact Hours: 8am-5pm, M-F
Travel Information: None
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF/WorkFirst)
- Provides monthly cash grants and medical assistance to eligible low-income families with minor children in the home.
- Applicants attend a WorkFirst orientation and eligibility interview.
- Pregnant and parenting minors may be eligible for TANF benefits if they meet additional eligibility requirements, as determined by a DSHS social worker.
- Adults may also be eligible for WorkFirst support, which will pay for items clients must have in order to look for work, prepare for work or accept a better job.
- Assistance may include transportation, car repairs, interview and work clothes, licenses and tools and equipment.
- Assistance will be provided via vouchers or pre-paid merchant cards.
Aged Blind and Disabled
- Provides financial assistance for people with a long-term or permanent disability, or who are blind, or who are age 65 or older and meet income and resource requirements.
- TANF/WorkFirst clients may apply for supplemental financial assistance when faced with an emergency caused by circumstances out of their control.
- Funding may be approved for eviction notices; electric, gas, heating fuel, water/sewer or telephone utility shut-off notices; or deposit move-in costs for homeless individuals and families.
- Includes Additional Requirements for Emergent Needs (AREN). AREN payments may be made up to a maximum of $750 in a 12-month period.
Diversion Cash Assistance (DCA)
- Provides a cash grant program designed to prevent households with children from having to enroll in public assistance, by assisting with living expenses for needs such as housing, transportation, child care, food and employment-related expenses.
- Clients may be referred to DSHS non-cash programs such as subsidized child care and food stamps.
- Staff may also refer to other social service programs including domestic violence services, clothing banks, food pantries, etc.
- Provides housing and essential needs vouchers for adults with a shorter-term disability and meet income and resource requirements.
Pregnant Women's Assistance
- Provides financial assistance for pregnant women who are not eligible for TANF but meet TANF income and resource requirements.
Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA)
- Cash assistance is available to refugees with no minor children for the first eight months after their arrival.
- Refugees with minor children are likely eligible for TANF.
- Accessible for disabled
- Wheelchair accessible
Contact a local Community Service Office (CSO) for specific eligibility requirements.
Call, visit website or walk in to any CSO to obtain an application.
After online or paper application is received, a letter will be sent regarding interview requirements.
DSHS clients who need emergency financial assistance should talk to their case manager.
Phone line has a callback feature (virtual hold) where callers can enter their phone number and expect a return call when their turn comes up in the queue.
It is possible that callers may speak with more than one person. The first will be a navigator who will triage the call to determine if the navigator would be the best person to assist the caller, or if there would be someone better qualified to meet the caller's need.
Pend Oreille County
|Main Switchboard||(509) 447-6200||8am-5pm, M-F|
|Toll Free||800692412||8am-5pm, M-F|
- DSHS- Community Services Office 1313 North Maple, Spokane, WA, 99201
- DSHS Tri-County Community Services/Colville/Stevens County 1100 S. Main, Colville, WA, 99114
- DSHS Tri-County Community Services/Republic/Ferry County 89 E. Delaware, Republic, WA, 99166
- DSHS-Access Spokane Trent Community Services Office 8517 East Trent, Spokane, WA, 99212
The following services may be helpful:
Financial Assistance, 2505 Olympic Hwy N Suite 440, Shelton, WA, 98584
(877) 501-2233 Website
Financial Assistance, 525 5th St, Clarkston, WA, 99403
(877) 501-2233 Website
Financial Assistance, 89 E. Delaware, Republic, WA, 99166